Range Hoods Frequently Asked Questions


Some things to consider before buying a Range Hood:

The kitchen is one of the busiest and most used rooms in the house.  A great deal of time is spent in the kitchen cooking and preparing the meals you and your family consume.  Every family is different in their cooking and preparation requirements so we have compiled this list of Frequently Asked Questions to help answer questions you may have and to help you decide which Range Hood is best for you and your family.


What is the size of the Cook Top?

Is it Gas or Electric? (Gas obviously requires better ventilation due to the fact you are burning a fuel)


How much time do you spend cooking?

And do you do any cooking that requires extra long periods of use of the cooktop?  For example, do you "can" or "bottle" foods, do you use "stock pots" in your meal preparation?


Do you have ductwork to exhaust the fumes that the hood will remove?

Often called "re-circulating" or "ductless", in many cases you must use this type of hood because you cannot or do not want to install ductwork to carry to the exhaust from the hood to the outside of the house.


Do you need a Wall Hood, Island Hood, or Under Cabinet Hood?

After considering these items you will have some question.  We have listed the most frequently asked questions and answers below.  Please contact customer support if you have any other questions or comments.   You can also use the "contact us" page in the website. 


What size Range Hood do I need and what does "CFM" mean?

Range Hood power is measured in CFM's this stands for the air that can be removed as measured in "Cubic Feet per Minute".  The larger the number the greater the volume of air the hood can remove.  Generally the rule for a gas cooktop is, for every 10,000 BTU your gas stove generates you would need 100 CFM.  Example 60,000 BTU's = 600 CFM.  For an electric stove the CFM is estimated accordin to the size of the stove.  You need 100 CFM for every 10" of stove width, so if your stove/cooktop is 36" then you would need at least 360 CFM.


What is the difference between a "ducted" and "ductless" Range Hood?

Often called a "re-circulating" range hood a ductless hood will filter the air, generally through carbon filters, and return the air back into the kitchen area.  Ducted Range Hoods do not use or need charcoal filters because they remove the air to the outside of the house through "ductwork" this ductwork is normally 6"-10", depending on the size and requirement of air to be removed.  Obviously the fully ducted type of range hood is preferred but this is not always possible. 


Can I duct the Range Hood into my attic or crawl space?

No.  You should never exhaust air into spaces within walls, ceilings, attics, crawl space or garages.  The humidity and grease collect in this space.


How far can I run my ductwork?

You want the ductwork as short as possible and with as few 90 degree bends as possible.  The longer the ductwork and the more the duct changes direction the more air pressure that builds up in the ductwork and the effective CFM is reduced.


What type of electrical connection do I use, outlet or "direct wire"?

Range Hoods should not be "direct wired",  All ProLine Range Hoods, are wired with a standard, grounded plug, for the electrical connection a standard 110v/60hz, grounded outlet is used.

Compare Products (0)

You have no items to compare.